Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dalai Lama Speaks in New York May 4, 2009

His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama is coming to New York, NY, to speak about the quintessence of compassion, the essence of Buddha's teachings. This very special event will take place at The New Beacon Theatre on Monday, May 4th at 9:30am and 2pm. Tickets are still available, but running out fast. I think it would be a great experience for anyone. It is one item on my bucket list that I will be crossing off. I can't wait to hear him speak! It'll be my first time!

We don't know what the future will hold for the next Dalai Lama, whether the Chinese government will enforce choosing the successor or if His Holiness and the Tibetan people will be able to carry out the tradition of selecting their spiritual leader.

I don't know if any of you remember in 1995 His Holiness recognized a 6-year old boy, Gendhun Choekyi Nyima, as the 11th Panchen Lama of Tibet. Since then, he and his family were taken by the People's Republic of China and are still missing till this day. No one knows where they are, if they are political prisoners, or if they are even alive. The outcry has been loud over this, but unfortunately those with the power to do something have done nothing at all.

This is the closest we've come to choosing the next Dalai Lama and the PRC took it away. So I can only say that the fate of the future does not look too promising, but I never lose hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reaching out to Sweet Regards. I will do my best to respond to you quickly.